Monday, October 12, 2009

Sports Quotes, Volume 1

Monday's w/ Michael
For Christmas last year, Jane got me a Sports Illustrated daily calendar. Every day, I read a different humorous quote from the world of sports. In June, I started saving some of my favorites. I hope you enjoy them.
Jack Haley, Chicago Bulls rookie center, on his NBA debut, in which he played one minute and didn't score: "I'll always remember it as the night Michael Jordan and I combined for 52 points."
Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins: "He treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings."
Sean O'Grady, USA Network analyst, noting that many boxers go without showers for days before their bouts: "Talking to a fighter at a weigh-in is like learning to swim. You have to remember to turn and breathe, turn and breathe."
Chuck Nevitt, North Carolina basketbal player, explaining to coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice: "My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt."
Marquis Weeks, Virginia safety, after returning a kickoff 100 yards against North Carolina: "That was just instinct. Kind of like running from the cops."
Mike Cameron, Mets outfielder, dismissing the problems caused by the sun at Shea Stadium: "The sun has been there for 500, 600 years."
Weldon Drew, New Mexico State basketball coach, explaining the Aggies 1-3 start: "We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all of our games are played indoors."
Joe Barry Carroll, Golden State's 7-foot center, on what it's like to grow up tall: "As a kid, I was big for my age. As I got older, I got big for anybody's age."
Tony Graffanino, Kansas City second baseman, on the last-place Royals performance this season: "I've never been on a team where everybody stinks."
Evidently, Graffanino has never played for the Cubs! :)
Make it a great week!

5 comments:

  1. Mikey, Mikey, Mikey....that was a low blow to Cubs fans...shame on you. Here is a quote for you...Who said this? "During my 18 years, I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. A ballplayer will average 500 at bats a season. That means I played 7 years without ever hitting the ball."
    Have a great week...love your "sporty" mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'mon, Mom. Give me a challenge. Mickey Mantle said that. (I knew it as soon as I read it, but I did Google it just to make sure.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Michael! Thanks! Loved the one about the sun being around for 500 years! Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so funny! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GOOD LITE HEARTED POST , ? DO YOU HAVE THAT CALENDAR HANGING IN THE BATHROOM . LOVE DAD B.

    ReplyDelete