Monday, June 1, 2009

Adoption Story

Well, I'm sure most of you have heard the story of how we adopted Deacon. So I won't share that with you again. What I would like to share is our 2nd Adoption Story. That's right, Jane and I have started the adoption process again!

We would like to have several children, so we knew we wanted to adopt again, but were unsure about the timing. Unlike being pregnant, there is no set time frame for adoption. It only took 6 months for us to get Deacon. So we didn't want to start the process when he was too young in case we would have another 6 month adoption and then have 2 children under the age of 1. But sometimes it takes a couple years to adopt, so we didn't want to wait until he was 2 and then he wouldn't get a sibling until he was 4. So just knowing when to adopt again was the hard part. The answer became very clear to me one night several months ago.

One of Jane's friends told her that her sister worked with a lady who had a friend (did you follow all of that?) who was pregnant with twins, but was planning on having an abortion. When Jane's friend heard about the situation, she thought of adoption and she thought of us. She was a little hesitant since the girl was pregnant with twins. She didn't realize that since both Jane and I have twins in our background that we always thought there was a chance that we could have twins one day and always looked forward to that. As soon as Jane told me, I told her to call her friend back right away. Not that we were planning on adopting at that point, but we needed to save those babies! Jane called her friend who called her sister who was going to call her co-worker. Jane's friend called us back to let us know what was going on. A short time later she called us back to tell us that it was too late: she had already had the abortion. We were too late! I cry now, just thinking about it. The mother was bi-racial and I picture the twins in my mind. I picture them as newborns. I picture them running around as toddlers. I picture them in their elementary years. I picture them in high school and college. I picture them as adults. And I cry. When I get to heaven, I'm going to find those twins. I'm going to hold them in my arms and tell them that they were loved on earth, that they were wanted. And I'm going to apologize for being too late.

So that's when it hit me. The longer we wait, the more babies die. Every day that we don't adopt, another baby (possibly our baby) dies for no reason. If anyone reading this is considering abortion, please don't. Please know that there are many families out there who would love to raise your child.






So, we have started the process again. We were spoiled by our adoption of Deacon. Everything went so smoothly. We don't expect that to happen again. We know this could be a long, painful process. Please keep us in your prayers. Pray that we would be open to whatever God has in store for us. At this point, we aren't sure what direction we will go. We may adopt another infant, but we are also looking into adopting an older child (possibly a sibling group) from the foster care system. Soli Deo Gloria! Glory to God alone!

Make it a great Monday!

13 comments:

  1. Wow!! How exciting! We will be praying for you through this process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! We're praying for you guys!
    Love, Amber G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing!

    Love & Prayers,
    Klint & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOUR NEW PICTURE WAS GREAT , MY HEART JUST MELTS WHEN GRAND PA'S BOY SMILE'S . TEARS CAME TO MY EYE'S WHEN I WATCHED THE VIEDO AND LISTEN TO THE WORDS OF THE SONG , I THANK GOD THAT WE HAVE DEACON . WILL PRAY THAT GOD WILL BE DONE ON NEW BROTHERS OR SISTERS FOR DEACON.LOVE ALWAYS DAD B / GRAND PA B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JANE & MICHAEL...I REMEMBER LITTLE SIMONE RUNNING AROUND & JANE HOLDING HER LIKE A LITTLE BABY. AS FOR THE NEWS ABOUT YOUR NEW VENTURE OF ADOPTING AGAIN, I AM HAPPY FOR YOU BOTH.BE PATIENT & KNOW THAT GOD IS IN CONTROL. I LOVE YOU BOTH.(AND LITTLE DEACON). LOVE YOU ALL, MOM B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears came to my eyes as I read this. I'm praying for you all.

    Love you,

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... tears many tears. We will be praying for ya'll as you again step out in to the unknown waters of Faith. May God continue to bless your family:-) We love ya'll!

    Oh, Jane we'll be back at the end of june... would you be available on June 27th for a baby shower in Indy?? I'd love for you to be there and bring Deacon too:-) Call me.
    laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll be praying for your family!!!

    Love you,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are praying and so happy for you guys. You are wonderful parents!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the update and you know that we are praying very fervently for our grandkids, where ever they are. Keep us posted on any new developments. If your new little one(s) bring half the joy that Deacon has, we will all be so blessed. We love you! Dad and Mom R.

    P.S. I love that picture....too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michael and Jane--Lots of prayers for you guys. Thanks so much for sharing. Love the new picture. julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so excited to hear that you two are starting the adoption process again. You are wonderful parents and Deacon will be a great brother!

    ReplyDelete