Monday, March 23, 2009

Songs (2 of 2)

Here are some more of my favorite Rich Mullins songs.


"If I Stand" - "If I stand, let me stand on the promise, that You will pull me through. And if I can't, let me fall on the grace that first brought me to You. If I sing, let me sing for the joy that has born in me these songs. If I weep, let it be as a man, who is longing for his home."

"While The Nations Rage" - This song begins "Why do the nations rage? Why do they plot and scheme? Their bullets can't stop the prayers we pray in the name of the Prince of Peace. We walk in faith and remember long ago how they killed Him and then on the third day He arose. Well, things may look bad and things may look grim, but all these things must pass except the things that are of Him." And then in the chorus, Rich asks "Where are the nails that pierced His hands? Well, the nails have turned to rust, but behold the Man, He is risen and He reigns in the hearts of the children rising up in His name. Where are the thorns that drew His blood? Well the thorns have turned to dust, but not so the love He has given. No, it remains in the hearts of the children who will love, while the nations rage."

"Alrightokuhhuhamen" - We can read in Genesis that when God commanded something, it happened. God said "Let there be light" and there was light. God said "Let there be land" and there was land. In this song, Rich encourages us to follow God's commands as well. Rich says we need to be "smart enough to say 'yes' to Him." When God tells us to do something, our response should be "Alright, ok, uh-huh, amen."

"Calling Out Your Name" - Nature is a beautiful thing. It reflects God's glory and majesty. "I feel the thunder in the sky. I see the sky about to rain. And I hear the prairies calling out Your name." Jesus says in Luke 19:40 that if His disciples would "hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out." I think that if we would ever really stop and pay attention, we would hear the stones calling out His name.

"Here in America" - In this song, Rich expresses his amazement that "the Holy King of Israel loves me here in America." When you think about it, this is a pretty amazing thing. We have no right to be serving the God of Moses and Abraham and David. But God, the King of Israel, has adopted us into His family.

"Creed" - I really enjoy this song. Rich talks about various things he believes in that are fundamental truths to the Christian (God the Father, Jesus Christ His only Begotten Son, the Holy Spirit, the forgiveness of sin, the resurrection, etc.). But then Rich sings "I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am. I did not make it. No, it is making me. It's the very truth of God and not the invention of any man." I had a talk with an atheist in high school who believed the entire Bible was written by a bunch of monks. (But that's a story for another day). But we know it's the truth of God. We know that it was not invented by man. We know that it is making us who we are.

"Let Mercy Lead" - This song was written for a baby boy named Aidan, Beaker's son. Rich is giving Aidan advice to guide him as he grows into a man. "If we can reach beyond the wisdom of this age, into the foolishness of God, that foolishness will save, those who believe." "Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men." (I Corinthians 1:25) Sadly, too many people today are blinded by their wisdom.

"Elijah" - This song was one of Rich's favorites. "The Jordan is waiting for me to cross through. My heart is aging, I can tell. So Lord I'm begging for one last favor from You, here's my heart take it where You will." "When I leave I want to go out like Elijah, with a whirlwind to fuel my chariot of fire." That would be the way to go out wouldn't it? To go out like Elijah. You know, in a way, Rich came pretty close.

"Hold Me Jesus" - This is my favorite. "Sometimes my life just don't make sense at all. When the mountains look so big, and my faith just seems so small. So hold me, Jesus, cause I'm shaking like a leaf. You have been King of my glory, won't You be my Prince of Peace? And I wake up in the night and feel the dark. It's so hot inside my soul, I'm sure* there must be blisters on my heart. So hold me, Jesus, cause I'm shaking like a leaf. You have been King of my glory, won't You be my Prince of Peace? Surrender don't come natural to me. I'd rather fight You for something I don't really want than take what You give that I need. And I've beat my head against so many walls, now I'm falling down, falling on my knees. And this Salvation Army band is playing this hymn. And Your grace rings out so deep, it makes my resistance seem so thin. So hold me, Jesus, cause I'm shaking like a leaf. You have been King of my glory, won't You be my Prince of Peace? You have been King of my glory, won't You be my Prince of Peace?"
* - the actual lyrics say "I swear" but since Jesus commands us in Matthew 5:34 to "swear not at all" I change the lyrics to "I'm sure".

Well, I've listed most of my favorite Rich Mullins songs. I know I've left some off (Hope to Carry On, The Love of God, My Deliverer, I See You, etc), but it's late and I'm tired. So which one is your favorite?

Make it a great Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, that's hard to decide. Hmmm, I'd say 'Hold Me Jesus' is definitely one of my favorites! Amazing song!

    Sarah 'K'

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is If I stand... Actually haven't heard it in a long time. Now I'm craving it.
    thanks for the rich mullins recap!

    ReplyDelete