Monday, March 16, 2009

Songs (1 of 2)

Rich Mullins, continued...

Rich wrote most of his songs. In one interview he said, "'Step By Step' Beaker wrote, so it was one of two songs that I recorded that I didn't write." I'm not sure when he said that or if he recorded other songs after that that he didn't write, but the point is, he wrote a lot of songs. His most famous song is "Awesome God", but here are some of his other songs that I really enjoy:

"First Family" - In this song, Rich talks about what it was like growing up on a small farm in Indiana. "Talk about your miracles, talk about your faith. My dad, he could make things grow out of Indiana clay. Mom could make a gourmet meal out of just cornbread and beans. And they worked to give faith hands and feet, and somehow gave it wings."

"Boy Like Me/Man Like You" - We all know the Christmas story. But other than the time Jesus taught in the Temple as a young boy, we don't know much about the next 30 years. Rich compares his childhood to that of Christ's. "You was a boy like I was once, but was You a boy like me? I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee....Did You wrestle with a dog and lick his nose? Did You play beneath the spray of a water hose? Did You ever make angels in the winter snow?"

"My One Thing" - This song encourages us to get our priorities in order. "Everybody I know says they need just one thing. What they really mean is that they need just one thing more." "Save me from those things that might distract me....I don't want to lose the eternal for the things that are passing." We need to keep Christ as our "one thing."

"Bound to Come Some Trouble" - Life doesn't become a bed of roses when you give your heart to Christ. There are still struggles and bad days. This song admits that troubles and tears are bound to come, "but reach out to Jesus, hold on tight. He's been there before and He knows what it's like. You'll find He's there."

"Where You Are" - This song has a similar theme to the one above. Rich sings of Jonah and Daniel and Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. "Where you are ain't where you wish that you was. Well your life ain't easy and the road is rough. But where you are is where He promised to be." He also points out that "You'll meet the Lord in the furnace a long time before you meet Him in the sky."

"Growing Young" - We are all prodigal children. We've all run away from our Father. This song talks about that. "When I thought that I was all alone, it was Your voice I heard calling me back home. And I wonder now Lord, what it was that made me wait so long. And what kept You waiting for me all that time? Was Your love stronger than my foolish pride? Will You take me back now, take me back and let me be Your child?"

"Verge of a Miracle" - "You're on the verge of a miracle, just waiting to be believed in. Open your eyes and see. You're on the verge of a miracle." "Someone's waiting to put wings upon your flightless heart."

"Brother's Keeper" - This song encourages us to support our Brothers and Sisters. "My friends ain't the way I wish they were. They are just the way they are." "I will be my brother's keeper, not the one who judges him. I won't despise him for his weakness. I won't regard him for his strength. I won't take away his freedom. I will help him learn to stand."

"We Are Not As Strong As We Think We Are" - "We are frail, we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Forged in the fires of human passion, choking on the fumes of selfish rage. And with these our hells and our heavens, so few inches apart, we must be awfully small and not as strong as we think we are." I need to remember that I am simply a pathetic human being, prone to failure. But by God's grace, I can move mountains.

"Screendoor" - This song talks about faith and works. While providing a solid message, "Screendoor" is a little different than your typical Rich Mullins song. But, I'll let Rich show you himself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lZzp1u1PDQ Notice Rich's outfit: plain white T-shirt, jean shorts and barefeet.

Tune in next week for more of my favorite Rich Mullins songs!

Make it a great Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Michael, Thanks for all the good reminders from Rich! His example is still living on today! Love you! J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again, Michael!

    He really did write some amazing songs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great songs by a great writer! Thanks for bringing back those memories.

    Klint

    ReplyDelete