Thursday, March 26, 2009

Self-Less

One week from today-one year ago, Michael and I were anxiously awaiting to fly out of Ft. Wayne, so we could make it the following morning, April 3rd (catch all that?) for the schedualed c-section of our son that was to be born!! Well, behind every adoption is a birth-mother and birth-father. I know that is stating the obvious, but so many people think adoption is 'wonderful thing to do', but quickly forget the person who chose to carry that baby for 9 months, go through the pain of labor, and then do one of the most self-less acts ever-leave the hospital with empty arms. What a gift!

When we adopted Deacon, we agreed to a 'closed adoption', which meant that we would send letters and pictures to his birth-mother, Leslie, updating her on how he was doing-but that was all we were commited to doing.

The day we met Leslie, a year ago this past February, we instantly loved her. I felt such a connection to her. Afterall, this was the person that God had chosen to use, to give us our first child. After Deacon was born, all of our time spent with him in the hospital, was spent in Leslie's room. This was the way that it had to be since she couldn't officially sign the papers yet, (we were just like any other visitor as far as the hospital was concerned). One would think this was awkward, but it wasn't at all. We would have our time with Deacon, and when we were finished I would give him back to Leslie. We felt our love for her growing as we spent time at the hospital, and as the time came to say 'good-bye', it was so heart-wrenching (I'll explain more later)-but as we said 'good-bye', we just didn't feel like it was 'good-bye', but that it was more like 'see you later', because we truly felt like we would see her again someday. We did not know when or how it would all work out. . . .

God has put a stirring in our hearts to make our adoption more open-and through MUCH prayer and thought, we decided to invite Leslie here for Deacon's FIRST birthday! She is flying into Ft. Wayne, one week from today, and will be staying with us through Monday. We are so excited, and of course, so is she! Please pray for her that she can set aside any worries she has about coming and be able to sustain the courage to get on that plane. And pray for us, that we would continue to allow God to use us, in the way He wants to.

11 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you guys!! What an opportunity! I will be praying for Leslie (and both of you) - can't wait to meet her!!!

    Sarah 'K'

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will definitely be praying for you guys and Leslie! So excited to meet her!

    Amber G

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be praying! I know I already told you this, but you truly do inspire me, Jane! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too, am so excited to meet Leslie! We are already and will continue to pray for this special time you will have together. I wonder if Deacon knows how special he is!?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat opportunity! We'll be praying that all goes well for your family and her:D
    sarah q

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why my frist comment did not show up ,well I will try again . I think when Leslie see all the love that surrounds deacon she will be happy for him , and us to that we have him to share our love with .Our first thank you has to go to GOD ! JANE/MICHAEL GOD BLESS YOU AND ALWAYS KEEP YOU... DEACON,AS YOU GROW UP ALWAYS BE THANKFUL THAT GOD GAVE MOMMY JANE/DADDY MICHAEL TO LOVE YOU AND TEACH YOU GODS LOVE FOR YOU ALWAYS...LESLIE,MAY YOU FIND COMFORT IN KNOWING THAT GOD WAS THERE TO HELP YOU FIND JANE/MICHAEL THAT DEACON COULD GROW UP IN A LOVING FAMILY... OUR FIRST THANK YOU GOES TO OUR LOVING FATHER IN HEAVEN WITHOUT HIM WE ARE NOTHING .GOD BLESS: DAD/GRAND PA B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane-

    WOW! What a blessing that you have just given Leslie but most importantly... Deacon. As we are going through our adoption (which is a very open one) we have realized the importance of the relationship between birthmom and child. There is a book that I'd like to recommend you... it was one of the five books the agency requires us to read... it's called "Dear Birthmother" and it is about the relationship between you and her and your child and her... it is so encouraging and explains how important it is to your child and the many issues most children have (being adopted) because they do not know their birthmother. As you obviously know I am adopted :-) After reading this it has made my heart grow sooooo much for my birthmother and if I would have been able to have had a relationship with her.... many of my insecurities would not be there. I could go on and on but I am so thankful that God has laid this on your heart... YOU are doing the right thing... We will be praying for you and pray that God calms your fears... for there is bound to be a few:-) We love ya'll and miss you so much! Give me a jingle sometime soon!

    God bless your day!
    Laura Schafer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane and Michael, I find it very inspiring that you have chosen to do this. It is a wonderful opportunity for Deacon, Leslie, and both of you. May God bless her visit-- I look forward to hearing more about it it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael told me tonight that you guys were doing this! I have been out of the blog loop! I am so thankful for you all that this is working out this way. I'd love to have this kind of relationship with J & K's birthmoms. I envy you that. I will be prayerful for you all. Do you think she will come to church with you?

    On a sidenote! Our new dog's name is Sonny! And he has been cuddling with my 17 year old with matching hair color since he came in the door!! I think he will be well loved! (I ust hope he doens't bark all night!!! ;)) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, Yes, Leslie is coming to church, and we are planning on being at the auction Sat. Night too! So glad you are enjoying your puppy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome story! Every day, I think about my daughter that I placed 15 years ago. What I would do for an update. I've asked, but at the discretion of the adoptive parent's, I've been told (through the agency) they have moved on with their lives and hoped that I had too. I hold you with highest regards for the love you have for your son's birth mom to include her in the life of Deacon.

    ReplyDelete