Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Our 1st trip to the "The Sunshine State" !

One year ago today, we were getting ready to say goodbye to Florida, and the next time our feet landed there, would be the day God gave us our son.


After Leslie, Deacon's birth mother, chose us to be her son's adoptive parents, she and Bruce decided (understandably so) that they would like to meet us. So it was set that we would fly down to Florida the second weekend in February and meet Leslie and Bruce and sign some papers.

The only problem was: where were we going to stay, and how would we get around once we got there? Again, we were reminded that God was totally behind this and that He would work everything out-and He did. Harry T. and Lois Gerber were incredibly generous and worked it out for us to stay at a condo where they live for the winter, at the Holiday Isle Yacht Club. And no need to rent a car, they would take us wherever we needed or we could use their van whenever we needed. We had such a wonderful time with Harry and Lois and enjoyed getting to know them better. We got in a game of shuffleboard, and it was VERY close, but Lois and I won!
Harry is VERY laid back and his words became our motto for the weekend, "It ain't no big deal." and "It ain't no problem." (We still actually say these phrases, they kinda stuck:) We had some great times with them! We love you two and look forward to getting together when you get back to Indiana!
The day came for us to meet Leslie and Bruce and I was peaceful and yet had butterflies in my stomach. What if they decided they did not like us and changed their mind? We arrived at Adoption4Kids and met Ava, our caseworker and talked to her for a bit before Leslie and Bruce arrived. When we saw them pull up, Ava went out to greet them and our hearts were racing-the moment had arrived! I had tried to picture them and what she would look like, carrying our baby. I did not know if I should hug her when we met-(that is what I would do because that is how I am), but I was not sure if she would appreciate that. So I asked Ava before they got there and she said that Leslie was not a very 'huggy' person, so I decided a simple hand shake would have to do. They entered the room and after our initial introductions were out of the way, we both had questions for each other. She wanted to know everything about where we lived, to our family structure, to how we were going to discipline (my thought was, "I don't know, I haven't read that book yet?!") and everything in between. Bruce was very kind and gentle, and carried a soft look in his eyes. Leslie was very warm and sweet and I instantly loved her. We assured her that we would tell Deacon just how much she loved him-to give him life, and to be allowed to be used by God to give a couple a gift that they wouldn't otherwise be able to have. Our meeting lasted for 4 hours and Ava said that was the longest one she had ever had! When Bruce and Leslie got up to leave, we stood up to shake their hands and say goodbye, but instead, Leslie hugged me, and even went on to hug Michael. What a breakthrough! When we left the office we were filled with such a peace. I felt such a love for Leslie and Bruce. Some would talk about Leslie in a negative way, not understanding how someone could give a baby up for adoption. But, we would gently remind them that without Leslie and her decision to choose life, we would not have the opportunity to have our baby! We will forever be grateful for her love for Deacon. . .



4 comments:

  1. Jane and Michael...what a wonderful story...God certainly worked everything out for your family:) Also, I love the new picture of Deacon!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe how time flies! Great story! God is so good! Love ya, Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane

    I have heard that story before, but it still makes me cry!! God is so good!!
    Love you!
    Amy Meyer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was an emotional post!

    I still remember you calling after that meeting. It was so amazing how everything fell into place perfectly! What a little blessing Deacon is!

    We love you guys!

    "It ain't no big deal...It ain't no problem."

    Sarah K.

    ReplyDelete