Monday, February 23, 2009

Is Good Enough?

Mondays with Michael 1.7

In a Bible Study that I'm in, we once went through "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" by Oswald Chambers. One thing he said in there really jumped out at me.



"The good is the enemy of the best in everyone. Not the bad, but the good that is not good enough."



So often we settle for being good. I'm a good employee. I'm a good husband. I'm a good Christian. That's good enough.



But that's not what God requires from us. God requires...He demands perfection.



"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matthew 5:48



"Be ye holy; for I am holy." I Peter 1:16



For example, I'll get personal with you here for a moment. I often view myself as a "good husband." I wake up feed the animals, burn the trash (after only 4 reminders!), go to work, come home, play with Deacon, help get him ready for bed, and then spend a couple hours with Jane before I go to bed. Satan often convinces me that's enough. And unfortunately, I often agree. But wouldn't it be great if I helped with the dishes more? What about the laundry? Or actually taking the trash out before she asked the first time? Wouldn't it be great if I bought more flowers or took a day off of work just to spend with her?



Look, I recognize we are human and none of us will ever be able to obtain perfection. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive for it.



By God's grace, Make it a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Michael. Very convicting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok michael , thanks for making it hard on the rest of us guys . well we still love you anyway . love dad b.

    ReplyDelete