Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Day of Mourning

Twelve years ago today, the Dutch Mill burned down. I had worked there for two years, 4 months and 3 weeks (to the day). Tonight, we went to the Corner Depot for supper in honor of the Dutch Mill. I ordered a sandwich that would have been the equivalent of the Dutch Boy (a Dutch Mill favorite), fries, a vanilla coke and a piece of Pecan Cream Pie. I'm happy to report, that it didn't even come close! There will never be another Mill. But it wasn't just the food that made the Dutch Mill great. It wasn't just the building with it's dozen dining rooms. It wasn't just the atmosphere with it's 50's decor in the Cupboard. It wasn't just the people. It was a combination of all those things. And all of those factors will never come together exactly like that again.

Long live the Mill!

2 comments:

  1. SON I HOPE YOU WEREN'T THE COOK AND BURNED IT DOWN.... JUST KIDDING, WE ALL MISS THE DUTCH MILL. LOVE DAD B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happened across your blog and just had to leave a quick comment. I grew up in Decatur and my grandparents brought me to the Dutch Mill at least once a month. I was working out of the state at the time it burned down, but it sure was a heart to our community. God blessed me with an opportunity to live and work in the Parlor City and I wish I could share the Mill experience with my husband and friends. It shaped who I became - the food, the people, the service, the atmosphere - the combination, you are so right!

    ReplyDelete