Monday, August 10, 2009

Under the Overpass

Monday's w/ Michael

If any of you listened to Focus on the Family on Thursday and Friday, you heard the story of Mike Yankoski. Several years ago, Mike and his friend, Sam Purvis, took an intentional journey into the world of homelessness. They spent 5 months in 6 American cities sleeping on the streets, digging through trash cans for food and asking for money. Mike wrote a book called Under the Overpass based on their experiences.

I read the book a while ago. It was very challenging, very convicting. Sometimes the Church would help them out. Many times it did not. I remember one specific example where Sam & Mike attended a church. They had been on the streets for a while. They were dirty, unshaven, hungry and they stunk! After the service, some young men came over and started talking to them. Mike's shoes were falling apart and he had blisters all over his feet. His feet hurt terribly. He decided to do an experiment. Throughout the conversation with the young men, Mike repeatedly mentioned how bad his feet hurt. As the conversation ended, one of the young men said, "Well, I'll be praying for you." And that was that. After the guys had left, Mike turned to Sam and said, "My feet are killing me. But he's praying for me." The prayers of that young man did little to relieve the pain in Mike's feet.

I think too often, I have the same attitude as that young man. I see a need and instead of getting involved and getting my hands dirty, I offer up a hurried prayer and continue on my way. The book really challenged me to take action.

We have an opportunity to help the homeless right here in Northeastern Indiana. I visited the Fort Wayne Rescue Mission's website and discovered these ways to help.

-Show them kindness and respect.
-Don't give them money. Give them gift certificates to restaurants, instead.
-Pray for them.
-Teach others to care.
-Volunteer your time and talents.
-Donate household items.
-Contribute financially to Rescue Ministries.

One of the ways to help is by donating household items. I contacted both the Rescue Mission and Charis House (for women and children) and plan on taking some supplies to them sometime next week. If you would like to donate items, just give them to Jane or myself and we will be happy to deliver them for you. Some of the items needed at the Rescue Mission are disposable razors, stick deodorant, hypoallergenic bar soap (Dove), shaving cream, tooth brushes, white athletic socks, pillows and pillow cases, towels and cloths. Some of the items needed at Charis House are school supplies, new car seats (infant and toddler), laundry detergent, alarm clocks, batteries (AA, AAA, & 9 volt), baby lotion, hypoallergenic bar soap (Dove), stick deodorant, hand or body lotion and pack n plays. Any items you donate will be appreciated.

We all have our perceptions of the homeless. "Many people when thinking of a homeless person see the image of a grizzled old man who has had a drinking problem. At one time, that picture was more often than not a correct one. Yet, more and more the homeless look just like the rest of us." It's difficult to get an accurate picture of the homeless, but nationwide it looks similar to this:
-35% of the homeless are families with children
-30% are women
-79% are under the age of 50
-30% of the homeless have jobs
-61% are caucasian
-17% are African-American
-16% are Hispanic

Like many of you, when I hear stories and statistics like this, I immediately think of Matthew 25. "I was hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me." On Judgement Day, I don't want to be standing with the goats and hear, "I stunk and ye gave me no deodorant."

Make it a great Monday! God bless!

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts, Michael...convicting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Michael! It makes me think of Matthew 25:40, " Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Although convicting, I love this verse-it is such a great reminder. My constant prayer is that I will be ready for those opportunities, and that God would trust me with them. Love you! J

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD POST , IT'S SO EASY FOR US TO THINK ABOUT OUR PROBLEMS WE DON'T SEE OTHERS WITH MORE PROBLEMS THAN WE HAVE . GOD HELP ME TO PUT OTHERS FRIST . LOVE DAD B.

    ReplyDelete