Monday, August 17, 2009

Thirty

Monday's w/ Michael
Today, I am 10,956 days old. I will spare you the math, but that means I was born on August 19, 1979. Which means that in 2 days from now, I will be 30! Wow. I always enjoyed birthdays growing up and they never bothered me before, but turning 30 is a little hard to grasp. Me...30? That's old! (No offense to those of you over the age of 30).
I guess it's just that if you would have asked me 10 years ago where I would be at on August 19, 2009, I would have thought that I would be more advanced spiritually. I would have thought that I would be in better shape physically (I'm probably in the worst physical shape of my life right now. Jane is just way too good of a cook!). I would have thought that I would be more stable financially. I would have thought that I would be a better husband and a better father. I would have thought that I would have more hair! I would have thought that I would be more grown up. But here I am.
When I think about it, it can be kinda depressing. But then I think of Jesus. We can read in Luke 3:23 that Jesus was "about thirty years of age" when He was baptized. So where was He on His 30th birthday? Still living at home with Joseph and Mary? He hadn't started His ministry yet. And think of all He accomplished in the next 3 1/2 years!
So maybe there is hope for me yet!
Oh, and by the way, if you see Krent Frauhiger today, wish him a Happy Birthday. He turns 30 today. (But don't tell him I told you).
And if you see Vince Pfister on Thursday, wish him a Happy Birthday. He turns 30 the day after I do. (Again, don't tell him I told you).
Make it a great Monday!

6 comments:

  1. Michael...if you are feeling old, you can only imagine how I must be feeling. I find it very hard to believe that I have a 30 year old son. Truly, the memories are quite vivid of that Sunday afternoon when my "firstborn" came into the world. We were so thankful and praised God so much for you! You were so beautiful and brought us so much joy...Some things just don't change! Have a very blessed day! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. PAM I AGREE ; MICHAEL IS MY YOUNGEST SON , BOY DO I FEEL OLD ! I FEEL BLESSED THAT GOD HAS BLESSED ME WITH A YOUNGMAN I'M PROUD TO CALL MY SON . LOVE DAD B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Michael! I can't believe you are 30. I must say, from what I can see - you are being way too hard on yourself. I think of you as a very Godly man and a great husband and father. Jane and Deacon are blessed! May you be blessed on your birthday and always!

    Nick & Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL!! This past birthday for me turning 25 was NOT a welcome one. Maybe I can come to you in 5 years and get some tips for coping with 30!

    We love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY, MICHAEL! WE ARE SO FORTUNATE TO HAVE YOU AS JANE'S HUSBAND & LITTLE DEACON'S DADDY! THINKING BACK WHEN I WAS 30 JANE WAS ONLY 2 YRS OLD & THAT SEEMS LIKE A LONG TIME AGO.TIME FLYS SO ENJOY EACH & EVERYDAY & CONTINUE TO COUNT YOUR MANY BLESSINGS AS I KNOW YOU DO. LOVE, MOM B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can hardly believe you are 30, Michael. But, when I think about all the good times and great experiences - wow, what a rich 30 years. It makes me excited to think about what another year might bring. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete