Monday, April 13, 2009

What does God want from me?

What does God want from me? What does He want from each of us? Does He want me to sell all my goods to feed the poor? Well, if I am the young man in Matthew 19:16-22, He does. Does He want me to move my family to Haiti and become missionaries? Well, if I am Rich and Amber Pfister, He does. He calls some of us to marry, He calls others to remain single. He calls some to adopt, He calls some to preach. So what does He want from me? I think that everything God wants from us can be summarized in one word: obedience.

I Samuel 15 tells the story of the Israelites at war with the Amalekites. God told the Israelites to destroy everything. But the people saved some of the sheep and the oxen to offer as a sacrifice to God. Sacrifice is good, right? The people were doing a good thing, but it displeased the Lord because that is not what He had commanded. I Samuel 15:22 is one of my favorite phrases in the Bible "To obey is better than sacrifice." That's all God wants from us, our obedience. He may call you to sacrifice. If He does and you do anything else, it's wrong. He may call you to move to Ethiopia. If He does and you do anything else, it's wrong. I don't know what God's plans are for my life, all I know is that I only need to trust and obey.

Well, I spent all of March talking about Rich Mullins. Here is a song from another late musician who I really appreciate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzWyZxlwGKI

Make it a great Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Michael, I did not even know you were familiar with Keith Green. He was quite popular back in the early 80's...you were just a toddler. You have given us a beautiful song and a great message this morning. One of my other favorite Keith Green's songs is "Jesus Commands Us To Go"...you can also listen to that on Youtube. Both songs are very convicting! Have a great day!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. SON , ENJOYED MONDAY WITH MICHAEL , I ALREADY THINK OF YOU AS A GREAT HUSBAND TO MY DAUGHTER & GREAT FATHER TO MY GRANDSON . BUT CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT PLANS GOD HAS FOR YOU , OR IF THAT IS GODS PLAN FOR YOU . ON THE LIGHTER SIDE , I'M NOT SURE OF ALL GODS PLAN FOR YOU IS , BUT IT MAY NOT BE "THE WORLDS GREATEST FARMER ". GOD BLESS , LOVE YOU DAD B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your blog and especially blog title and the photo header! But your blog message I love the most! Yes, glory to God alone!

    ReplyDelete