Friday, April 3, 2009

Happy Birthday, Son!



April 3, 2008 7:15 A.M.

"Your birthday!

Your father and I are in awe of your upcoming arrival as we sit here on the beach. The beach has, for a long time now, been my place of refuge. We read Psalm 104 this morning. 'The glory of the Lord shall endure forever: the Lord shall rejoice in his works.' You are a gift from God, child. The gift we have been praying for, for years. My arms long to hold you. We pray you have a wonderful transition, out of your birth mommies womb and into this world. We will see you soon! Love, Mom"


. . . .to be continued. . . . .



We went to the hospital at about 9:30 that morning because Leslie was going to have a c-section at 10:30. Deacon was finally born at 11:09 a.m. and Bruce (Deacon's birthfather) finally came out and told us that he was born and said to Michael, "Well, he has more hair than you do!". I like telling that part! :)





We were finally able to go back into the nursery, but we were still limited to what we could do because of the situation. We decided this would be a good time to take a break, leave the hospital and call all of our family and friends and tell them the news of this 'great event'! When we came back to the hospital, Leslie and Bruce invited us back to their room and we were finally able to hold our baby! We stayed for a couple of hours, but we really wanted to give Leslie and Bruce their time, because they were giving Deacon to us for the rest of his life. Our sweet baby boy was finally here. . . . . .




April 3, 2008 10:58 P.M.


"What a day! You were finally born at 11:09 am and weighed 7 lb. 12 oz. You were 20 inches. We named you Deacon Michael. You are so cute! We took many pictures and got to hold you a little more than 2 hours. And I got to feed you and you tooted on my lap. You are so precious. I am bringing clothes for you tomarrow. I can't wait to see you again. I love you, Deacon. Love, Mom"


Do not ask me why, of the little that I wrote in my journal to Deacon that night because I was so exhausted, that he 'tooted' on my lap. I really think I was even delighting in that!



Present Day

We had a fun-filled day that started out with a play date with some of Deacon's little friends. The children had fun playing and we moms had fun chatting!


In introducing Leslie to Bluffton, we felt like it would not be a true experience without Bummies, so we had Bummies for lunch. I am sure she thought, "What is so great about this?" Perhaps you just have to be a true Blufftonite!


After dinner we went for a drive around Bluffton and then came home and sang 'Happy Birthday' to Deacon and let him open a couple gifts. Of course, he was more interested in the wrapping paper!








As I read Goodnight Moon and put his pajamas on and gave him his bottle, I sang to him as I often times do, and just thought back on the past year. I wept as my heart ached because I truly do not know where this year has gone. Again, another gentle reminder to never take any moment, milestone, memory (or even the toots on your lap!) for granted, because there will come a day where everything changes. . . . .

12 comments:

  1. Okay, so that about made me cry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. GODS LOVE FOR US ; LIKE THE BIRTH OF OUR SAVIOR JESUS ,IT WAS NOT WHAT WE DID OR WILL DO IT WAS A GIFT FORM OUR LOVING FATHER IN HEAVEN . AS WE LOOK BACK ON THE LAST YEAR WE THANK YOU FATHER , FOR THE GIFT OF DEACON , WE CAN ONLY WONDER WHAT PLANS YOU HAVE FOR HIM ,HELP US TO BE USED FOR YOUR PLANS WE PRAY ! OXOXOX DEACON HAPPY FRIST'S BIRTHDAY WE PRAY FOR MANY MORE TO COME... LOVE DAD/ GRANDPA B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Deacon! You are such a special little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Deacon! Hope you have a very special day. Thank you for sharing with us Michael and Jane. Enjoy your weekend. julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Deacon! Jane, that post made me tear up! I am so happy for you and Michael and pray you have an amazing weekend! I love you Jane!

    Jessica (T)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Deacon! The story gave me chills! Have a wonderful weekend! Love ya, Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the others, I had tears welling up in my eyes. Thanks for sharing with us! Your story is like none other. I think Karen Kingsbury is missing a story in her Adoption Miricles book. :) Love you...

    Jessica (N)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oops spelled miracle wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing post. We are all in agreement that God is so good. We look forward to seeing the birthday boy tomorrow and meeting Leslie.
    Our family has been so enriched because of Leslie's decision. Deacon has been an awesome blessing to us. Happy birthday Deacon! We love you little guy! Grandpa and Grandma R.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GOD BLESS YOU JESSICA , FOR NOT MAKING ME THE ONLY PERSON TO SPELL WORDS WRONG !!!!! JANE'S DAD .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane...this is such a neat post!! Thanks for all the pictures too! You have a very special little family! Enjoy Deacon's birthday party tomorrow! Love ya! Amy M

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy birthday deacon!! love this post!! brought so many memories of getting our kids! what a ride!

    ReplyDelete