Friday, April 10, 2009

'See you later'. . . .

Yes, I am still in the land of the living, although I haven't felt this exhausted in probably a year! It was such an emotional weekend! I'll begin with a year ago this past Sunday-which happened to be the day that we celebrated Deacon's birthday. It was the day that we would finally get to leave the hospital with our little boy! Michael and I arrived at the hospital early so we could go over our end of the paper work, but Leslie could not sign the papers until exactly 48 hours after Deacon's birth. Lynn Fiechter was coming to stay with Deacon and I because Michael had to go back home to go to work and she was supposed to get in on Friday, but because of the weather, she missed her connecting flight, and did not get in until Saturday. Because we were in the middle of paper work when her flight got in, she decided to take a taxi to the hospital. We were so excited to see her!


After the papers were signed, I could officially go back into the nursery and dress my little one to leave the hospital.


I was feeling more and more like his mommy, because I was being treated like his mommy, rather than a stranger, by all the nurses. The time was coming for us to say our 'good-byes' to Leslie and Bruce. Nothing could have prepared me for what was about to take place. Of course I had envisioned how the transition would be-we would say good-bye to them and then leave the room and then Leslie would give Deacon to Ava (the social worker) and then Ava would bring him out to us, and we would leave the hospital. Well, it didn't quite happen like that. We went in their room and they were holding him, telling him how much they loved him and just looking at him.

This was more than I could take. Lord, why do they have to hurt so much , and yet, through them, we are being given this bundle of joy? We all got our pictures taken together and the time came to say 'good-bye'.
Broken, and with tears in his eyes, Bruce came and gave Michael and I a hug and said, 'Take care of my boy'. It came time for us to say our good-bye to Leslie, and she hugged Michael and then me and placed Deacon into my arms (I was sobbing) and told me that she did not want me to ever feel guilty about this (thank you Lord, I needed to hear that) and she reassured us that as difficult as it was, she knew they were doing the right thing. We told her again how much we loved her and that we would always be thankful for the gift that she gave us. The nurse came in with the wheelchair (apparently you can't just walk out of the hospital carrying a baby, you have to be in a wheelchair).




We took Michael to the airport that following day and I remember just being so exhausted that day, overwhelmed with emotion. (I will share more about the rest of our time spent at the Holiday Isle Yacht Club next week.)




Deacon's 1st Birthday Party!!

We decided to do a Carnival theme for Deacon's 1st birthday! We enjoyed Italian Sausages, Corn Dogs, fries, fruit and cheese kabobs, cake, ice cream, cotton candy, and pop corn! Angie put together a DVD of pictures with music. It was beautiful and meant so much to us, and of course Leslie.














Deacon and Lynn!


Deacon opening gifts


Deacon with Cousins Luke and Liam


Deacon and Cousin Kaitlee


What would a carnival be without a clown?? I looked high and low for this clown-I needed to find one that could do balloon dogs and at least juggle. Well, it was apparent that this clown was just in the beginning stages of his career as a clown, but as far as being a daddy-he's the BEST!







Michael and Deacon winding down after the party


Monday morning came all too soon and it was time for Leslie to go home. We all took her to the airport and saw her off, back to Florida. We were sad to see her go, but there was a big difference between now, and a year ago, beacause this time, it was 'see you later'. . . . .




6 comments:

  1. DEACON'S PARTY WIIL ALWAYS BRING JOY IN HEART. I CAN'T TELL LYNN " AND HER HUSBAND " HOW THANKFUL I AM THAT SHE WAS WITH MY BABY TILL SHE WAS ABLE TO BRING HER BABY HOME . GOD HAS SO BLESS US . I PRAY FOR LESLIE AN BRUCE TO HAVE COMFORT IN THERE HEARTS THAT THEY HAVE DONE GODS WILL AND DEACON IS WITH A FAMILY THAT LOVES HIM SO MUCH .JANE & MICHAEL YOU WILL MAKE GREAT MOMMY & DADDY AND DEACON IS BLESS TO HAVE YOU BOTH. WITH ALL MY LOVE DAD/GRANDPA B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JANE & MICHAEL THE PARTY WAS GREAT! WE LOVE YOU ALL VERY MUCH AND HOPE THAT LESLIE WAS ABLE TO SEE HOW MUCH LITTLE DEACON IS LOVED BY FRIENDS & FAMILY. IT SEEMS LIKE LESLIE KNOWS SHE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION AND IN MY HEART I AM HAPPY FOR YOU & MICHAEL, AND ESPECIALLY DEACON. I AM ALSO GRATEFUL THAT SOMEHOW SHE KNEW YOU BOTH WERE THE ONES SHE WANTED DEACON'S PARENTS TO BE. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK LOVE MOM B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post Jane!! I've been patiently waiting for pictures from your weekend and Deacon's party! They were all great! Thanks soooo much for sharing...love you...Amy M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post, Jane!

    Wow, thanks for all the details and pics from a year ago. Can't imagine how emotional that would be!

    The Party pics are great! Deacon's outfit is adorable...and Michael, wow, you are a great sport! You need to give Klint a few tips.

    The cake and decor were adorable too! You are sooo talented, Jane (that feels like an understatement)

    Thanks!!

    Loveya
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Jane! I loved looking at the pictures! I'm sure the party was so fun--great theme! love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to believe that it's been a year already! Time goes so fast! So thankful that Leslie had a great trip! And Deacon's party looks like so much fun! Great job Michael! And the cake looks great Jane!! Love ya, Amber G

    ReplyDelete