Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Anniversary Trip #1

Well, someone, somewhere, one day, had the GREAT idea to take turns planning our anniversary trips. The thought was that it would be a surprise ( I love surprises- not really) and that it would be planned with the other person in mind.

Michael planned our honeymoon, so I took the reigns for our first anniversary. I was so excited so I searched and searched for somewhere that looked fun and different, somewhere that we had never been to before. . . . . .


. . . . . and I found . . . . . . .






If you have ever heard of Put-In-Bay, Ohio, Middle Bass is an island just off of Put-In-Bay. The brochure boasted of the beachfront property and how guests enjoy romantic campfires on the beach. The inn was “within walking distance of several gift shops and restaurants.” Ahhh. . . sounds relaxing. . . . . .

We enjoyed the ferry ride to the island and were filled with excitement and anticipation as we exited the boat.
However, things went down hill fast. When we eventually arrived at the inn itself, we discovered it was no more than an old brick house with no air conditioning.
The “beach” was actually a rocky cliff!
The “gift shop” was the local grocery store and there were only 2 restaurants on the entire island and 1 of them was in the "hotel"! By the time we had seen enough to know that we didn’t want to spend the night there, it was too late to get off the island. We were STRANDED! I remember calling home to my folks and just crying because it was horrible and here we were, stuck on the island for a whole night! As we were trying to figure out how we could possibly escape from the island, I found some interesting, though, scary information . . . . . .




"Lake Erie's Bessie was first seen in 1817, but numerous sightings have been claimed in recent years. She is typically described as being a snake-like beast 20 to 50 feet long, 12 to 18 inches in diameter, with dark skin, red eyes and humps that stick out of the water as it swims."
This was getting really scary!

It reminded us of a movie, a very scary movie. The next morning, we were racing with all of our stuff for the 'island bus' to take us back to the ferry. We did not want to miss this! By this time all we could do was laugh, because, the whole thing was so unbelieveable! We were so thankful to get finally home!


Had the trip gone as planned, we probably wouldn’t remember it as we do today. So, we weren't off to the greatest start-but that did take some pressure off of Michael for the next year-I was already looking forward to it!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, the memories! You forgot to mention that she was about an hour late picking us up at the landing and we had hiked 1/4 of the way across the island carrying all our luggage before she finally arrived in her old pickup with cat hair all over the seats. Yeah, I can't wait to go back there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the exciting adventures of Michael & Jane. Crack me up. I remember when you were on this trip I ran into John and asked if he'd heard how your trip was going. He told me you came home early. I couldn't believe it!!...until I heard the rest of the story.

    Too funny - great memories. Can't wait to see your next Anniversary post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's crazy!!!! thanks for the post now we know NOT to go there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remmember , ALL YOU TALKED ABOUT WEEKS BEFORE YOU KIDS LEFT FOR PUT-IN-BAY , WELL THE DAY YOU LEFT I WAS TALKING TO MY BOSS AT WORK ASK HIM IF HE HAD HEARD OF PUT-IN-BAY HE SAID IT WAS GREAT PARTY AND DRINKING ISLAND , MY THOUGHTS WERE 'OOOO NO" , I JUST GOT HOME AND GOT A CALL FROM MY LITTLE GIRL SHE WANTED TO COME HOME , WELL THERE WASN'T ANYTHING DAD COULD DO , SO I TOLD YOU TO MAKE THE BEST OF IT TILL MORNING AND YOU GUYS COULD LEAVE FOR HOME! LOVE YA ; DAD B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, that's just a little too scary for me! I'm sure you'll never see me there!
    Liv

    ReplyDelete