Monday, September 21, 2009

Street Fair Preview, 2009

Monday's w/ Michael

Tomorrow is the first day of Street Fair! This is the one week every year that Jane's kitchen is officially closed. Jane and I have made a tradition of eating at least 7 meals at Street Fair every year. Traditionally, we eat supper there Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Saturday we are there for all 3 meals. With Finn, we probably won't be able to pull it off again, but that just means we will have to cram more food into less meals!

I'm sure most of you reading this already know everything there is to know about the Bluffton Street Fair, but in case there is someone out there who has never attended, allow me to give you a crash course.

Best Place to Sit for Opening Night Parade
When I was younger, we would always stand across from the Gravitron. There are large power cables crossing the street there and we would always watch for people in the parade to trip on the cords. The most humorous were the Rising Stars. The little girls were so focused on catching their baton, they wouldn't be watching their feet. Cruel? Probably. But alas, the parade changed it's route and we lost our beloved seats. I now like to sit in front of the Clinic near the start of the parade.

Best Game
The Mouse Game. But not just any Mouse Game. It has to be the Mouse Game just to the East of the Courthouse (right beside the Flip-a-Frog game). It has to be the Mouse Game run by Jim & Jean Martin. My family has been going there for as long as I can remember. I can't wait to introduce them to Finn! I doubt Deacon will remember them, but I'm sure they will remember Deacon. I'm fairly (ha ha, get it...fair-ly) confident that if the Claire Yergler family would boycott Street Fair that the Martin family would starve. It's gotten to the point where my parents now receive Christmas cards from them!

Oh, and if you do choose to play the Mouse Game, let me share 2 valuable secrets that will increase your chances of winning infinitely. You can't just place your quarter down and hope the mouse will run into your hole. No, you need to cheer her on. A loud cheer of "Go, Minnie, Go!!!" usually does the trick. And my other secret...oh, boy, I can't believe I'm sharing this with you...put your quarter on 23. 23 is my lucky number. I can guarantee that if you put your quarter on 23 you will win...at least within the first $20. Oh, that's another thing, don't change your number. Once you pick a number stick with it. Unless of course #23 opens up, then by all means, move your quarter to #23.

Best Appetizers/Side Dishes
Some might argue for Tom's Tasty Taters. Some might argue for Mozzarella Sticks or the Cheddar Cheese Curds. But I'm going to have to go with the Fried Pickles (ok, ok, so I'm doing this one for Jane). Jane loves these things. The first year we were married, she got them so many times I lost track. The next year, on opening night, I walked up to the booth, the girl looked up at me and smiled "Fried Pickles, right?" We haven't gotten a Christmas card from them yet, but we've got to be getting close!

*My personal favorite is probably the Cheddar Cheese Curds.

Best Meal
This one could get tricky. There are so many wonderful things to eat at the fair. Just ask Templeton. I think instead of just naming my favorite, I'm going to have to count down.

5. Walleye Fish Sandwich- This is found near (possibly even at Tom's Tasty Taters).
4. Italian Sausage - Again, I forget the name of the vendor, but I could point it out to you. It's on the North side of West Market.
3. Mettler's Fish - Conveniently located near the Fried Pickle vendor. I typically get this on opening night. There is no better sandwich at the fair than Mettler's Fish.
2. Taco Potato - The 2 hour wait in line is worth it. Jalapenos give it just the right kick.
1. The Sirloin Tips - This isn't really fair. This isn't "fair food". It's like comparing steaks and hot dogs. Oh wait, that's exactly what I am doing. This is a full meal fit for a king. Jane and I share and we never go hungry. Mushrooms, potatoes, etc, this meal has it all!

And just for the fun of it....#732. The place Jane and I got Corn dogs last year. A couple guys at work were ranting and raving over the Corn Dogs a certain vendor served. I encouraged Jane to get one w/ me. When they handed them to me, I wasn't all that impressed. They just lookecd like a regular corn dog. But when I bit into it, I was definitely surprised...it was FROZEN!!! I don't think Jane and I will be back for another Corn dog this year.

Best Dessert
With all the Elephant Ears, Caramel Apples & Cotton Candy, my favorite dessert is just an ice cream cone. No, not the famous Pineapple Whip. Just a good old fashioned vanilla cone.

See ya at the Fair!!!

16 comments:

  1. This makes me really excited! I'm sure we'll see you guys there! Amber G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael--great post!! Too funny. That is a lot of really good information. Have a really good week--don't eat too much. julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm totally offended by you Michael Zebedee Reinhard. The corn dogs at the King Booth are absolutely wonderful and the best around. One bad corndog out of 10,000 served that week and it had to be you... You need to give it another try. I'm sure if YOU WOULD'VE WENT BACK & SHOWED THEM, they would've given your money back or made you a new one. But NNNNNNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooo, you had to stick your nose in the air and storm off to yell at your fellow employees. You wait Michael Zebedee Reinhard.... this year your Cheese Curds won't be curded enough, your Elephant Ears won't be earish enough, and the sounds of Native American Titantic music will be following you everywhere you go, even outside your window at night when you sleep... This year the Street Fair will not be "fair" to Michael Zebedee Reinhard
    a disgruntled fellow employee (in love of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I had almost forgotten how great Streetfair food was until I read this. 7 years is a long time to go without the greasy goodness, and I guess it's a tast that once it's in you that you can never truly forget it. Great Post Michael!!

    Myra Beer (formerly Isch)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corndogs Rule and Sirloin Tips Drool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess after living so close to the fair for so many years, I have got my fill. You can have your fair food, I'm mighty happy to stay at home (too bad my kids like to go)! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael,
    You were obviously raised right. It's rewarding to see you pick up your parent's values.

    See you at the fair!
    ...dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this makes me miss Bluffton:) I have great memories of going to the Fair multiple times (but not quite for 7 meals...that's a lot!) I have the same fond memories that you do, Michael, of watching people trip over the cables by the Gravitron. I was seriously upset the first year we weren't able to stand there anymore! Nathan and I do plan to go this year on Saturday...hopefully we'll see you guys there! And I do want to add, the Pineapple Whip is the #1 best thing about Street Fair! Come on Michael, you can get a plain vanilla anywhere, anytime! Pineapple Whips are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOOOO.... I LOVE THE SIRLOIN TIPS GREAT MEAL , BUT MY FAVORITE HAS TO BE THE MYSTERY MEAT SHISH KE-BABS IN FRONT COURTHOUSE , BUT MAYBE YOU SHOULD DO [WHILE THE STREET FAIR IS GOING ON] A HEAD COUNT EACH MORNING OF THE REINHARD ANIMALS .... I'LL NEVER FORGET TELLING JANE THERE WOULDN'T BE ANYMORE STREET FAIRS AFTER YOU TWO GOT MARRIED . MOUSE GAME , IT COST ME $20. TO WIN DEACON A $2.00 STUFF ANIMAL, THIS YEAR IT COULD COST ME $40. LOVE ALL DAD/GRANDPA B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Corndogs Rule and Sirloin Tips Drool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't agree more with your love of Street Fair, and I totally agree with the Fried Pickles, they make the fair what it is today! See ya there
    Janelle F

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sam's is the name of the place to get your Italian Sausage, and how do you not mention a ZUM stick when listing desserts at street fair?

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my 23 years of existence, i have never had a ZUMstick. And my cohort in crime has never had one in his 50 years of existence. This has brought me to ONE conclusion..... Corndogs Rule and Sirloin Tips Drool! I mean ZUMsticks!

    On a serious note i have had a corndog every day from the Kings stand and every one of them has been absolutely delicious & delightful. One day it was so hot i scalded my tongue and couldn't taste anything for 3 days... ok not really but it was hot and i had to wait to eat.

    On an even more serious note if you want a good meal, get a Kings Tenderloin and a cup of Moose Tracks ice cream from the two ladies stand. The tenderloin is real pork pounded out and kind of spicy. Not processed. and the Moose Tracks... well what can i say about my Alma Mater

    -Moose

    ReplyDelete
  14. Byron, you're right.  It wouldn't be Street Fair w/o the ZUM sticks.  But not only did I forget the ZUM stick, I also forgot to mention the Texas tenderloin!  Now that is a sandwich!  On my original list, it would have gone right below Mettlers.  (But after having a Mettlers on opening night, I will probably have to revise my list.  I wasn't overly impressed.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. so how did #23 treat you last week?

    ReplyDelete
  16. 0-everything

    I didn't win a single stuffed animal at the Mouse Game or a single goldfish. It was a rough year!

    I didn't play near as much as I normally do though either. The rain and having 2 boys had something to do with that.

    ReplyDelete